Click to connect with the Connersville community:
If you’re interested in other cities like Connersville, here are some books to check out:
- After the Factory: Reinventing America’s Industrial Small Cities by James J. Connolly (Lanham: Lexington Books, 2010).
- After the Smoke Clears: Struggling to Get by in Rustbelt America by Steve Mellon (Pittsburgh, Pa: University of Pittsburgh Press, 2002).
- Beyond the Ruins: The Meanings of Deindustrialization by Jefferson Cowie and Joseph Heathcott (Ithaca: ILR Press, 2003).
- Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community by Robert D. Putnam (New York: Simon & Schuster, 2000).
- The “Business” of Reforming American Schools by Denise Gelberg (Albany: State University of New York Press, 1997).
- Dealing with Deindustrialization: Adaptive Resilience in American Midwestern Regions by Margaret Cowell (New York: Routledge Press, 2014).
- Hoosier Schools: Past and Present by William J. Reese (Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1998).
- Indiana: A History by Howard H. Peckham (Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 2003).
- “Indiana’s Little Detroit” by Richard A. Stanley in Automotive History Review 53, no. 3 (2011): 22-27.
- The Indiana Way: A State History by James H. Madison (Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1986).
- Industrial Sunset: The Making of North America’s Rust Belt, 1969-1984 by Steven C. High (Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2003).
- Main Street Blues: The Decline of Small-Town America by Richard O. Davies (Columbus: Ohio State University Press, 1998).
- Main Street Revisited: Time, Space, and Image Building in Small-Town America by Richard V. Francaviglia (Iowa City: University of Iowa Press, 1996).
- Rebuilding America’s Legacy Cities: New Directions for the Industrial Heartland by Alan Mallach (New York: American Assembly, 2012).
- Voices from the Margins: The Stories of Vocational High School Students by Jane P. Nagle (Bern, Germany: Peter Lang Academic Publishers, 2001).